Today we take a look at a great Self Care sewing project, the Laurel Dress by Greenstyle Creations. This versatile pattern works for all seasons and all seasons of life. Check out what reviewers Ellen and Carrie did with this pattern!
- Women's Sizes XXS to 3XL with size chart on bust measurement
- 4 different sleeves lengths (short sleeve, just above elbow, 3/4 length, long sleeve*)
- *dare I add sleeveless too?
- 3 different skirt lengths (tunic, just above knee, longer length)
- 3 different torso lengths (short, regular, long)
- Straight back or pleated back options
- Photos/drawings for every step in directions
- knit/jersey fabric and can do knit/jersey top with woven bottom
- 32 pages long total with 9 pages of directions and 23 nested pattern pieces
Besides lack of time the other reason I haven’t sewn much for myself is that I struggle with items that I can comfortably wear now (with a growing baby belly) and later. I’m excited to say that this is the perfect top or dress for just that!
I did have a non-pregnant friend sweet enough to help me out with a few pictures but I wanted to also share one of myself to show you what a cute maternity top this makes (although, taken by my 6 year old so no judging! Haha!)The style features pleats in the front (and optional pleats in the back, which I did not do) and POCKETS!! I love pockets! Especially ones that are actually big enough to be useful, like these are.
This is an extremely versatile pattern with multiple arm lengths, 3 torso lengths and both a dress or tunic length. The one you see pictured is the short torso, with elbow length sleeves in a tunic.
All these options are a huge plus but also leads to my one issue on this pattern… how to choose? I’m 5’2” and usually go for petite options so I thought the short torso would be best but I question that now that its finished. Both my model and myself are larger busted so although this style looks nice, I think the standard would have just been a more flattering fit. I think a guide to help recommend options (at least for the torso) would be helpful.
This is a GREAT pattern for a beginner! The pieces went together perfectly and the directions were very easy to follow. It only ended up taking about an hour to put together after I had everything cut so I can definitely see more of these in my near future!
Thanks so much for letting me share a little insight; I hope you enjoy making this as much as I have!