- Great size range 12-18mos through 14
- Includes sizing chart as well as fabric requirement chart
- Pattern piece for swirls, measurements for bodice and straps. Goes together VERY quickly
- Cutting is a little lengthy, but nothing horrible. I cut each swirl separately, but you could probably pile em up and get more bang for your cut. ;)
- Excellent numbered pictures include for each step, with coordinating numbered steps. No guess work.
- I quite enjoyed the seam allowance stated at the beginning of each section. I found this very helpful to not have to keep searching what seam allowance was needed.
- Sewing the top up went together very smoothly and fairly quickly as well.
- Pattern calls for a bias tape hem. If not buying, I recommend taking the time to make actual BIAS tape, it'll go on much easier. I enjoy making bias tape, because I'm a weirdo like that. I think the bias hem is a must, as it provides such a clean beautiful finish.
This is seriously one of the funnest tops I've made. We love the twirl factor. After we took pictures my daughter did not want to take it off. Jumping on the trampoline and all.
This pattern has one pattern piece for the swirls, and then the straps and the bodice lining are cut from measurements. I love that there are only 4 pieces of paper to tape together, so it is very easy to assemble.
Sewing the swirls together is a bit difficult, so it is probably more of an intermediate pattern. The first time I made a skirt similar to this was several years ago, however, and I was nowhere near as experienced as I am now, so it is possible for an adventuresome beginner to try. It just takes some determination. The instructions are well written with detailed pictures of all the steps.
Overall I have to say I really enjoyed the outcome of this pattern. Sewing the swirls together, then finishing the edges, and then top stitching was a bit tedious, because I was essentially sewing each seam 3 times, but it was totally worth it. I already have plans to make another one for my youngest daughter. In fact, I was also trying to think of a way I could add a few more swirls and some length and turn this into a skirt for me! I might be a little obsessed with the look of the swirls at the moment, haha!!