Hi there! Crystal here, from Stitched by Crystal. Do you guys get as excited about Halloween sewing as I do? I look forward to sewing costumes for my kids every year! My daughter is really girly who loves to dress up and accessorize. She planned her costume around a pair of shoes she simply HAD to have...sparkly red high heels! So...I sewed up a blue checkered Dorothy dress to go with the new shoes and my son got a coordinating lion costume to fit a Wizard of Oz theme!
I altered the pattern just a bit. I added 1.5” of length to the bottom of the bodice and added a little sash strip cut on the bias to the bottom and I added 1” of length to the cap sleeves and added some ric rac in the binding.
I wanted the dress to look very similar to the dress Judy Garland wore in the movie, so I altered the top bodice piece a bit so I could add the gathered detail at the top. To do this, I cut slits in my pattern straight down from the neckline, then smoothed out the curve. I cut my piece and gathered the neck to match the lining and then finished it off with double fold bias tape and ric rac like the sleeves.
I also added a little bias cut trim along the bodice seam and on the skirt.
After sewing up the dress, I added some jumper strap. I measured the distance from the waist, up and over the shoulder and made my straps to size. Then I stitched them down at the shoulders and attached them to the waist with buttons.
The lion was really simple. For the body, I used the One Romper pattern by Filles a Maman. This pattern is such a great base for a lot of costume options but also makes a really great everyday romper! The pattern has short sleeves, but has a long sleeve add on that I used. Since my little guy is so young, I switched the snap from the sleeve to the inseam. And I made a lion tail with a bit of fur on the end and hand stitched it to my lions backside.
For the mane, I used another new Little Lizard King release, the Madison Vest and I mashed it with the furry yoke of Little Lizard King’s Dakota Dress pattern. The Madison vest was perfect for this with a furry hood and animal ear options. I chose the mouse ears for my lion. While the vest as is would make for a really great lion costume, I really like it with the yoke instead!
To mash the two, I simply printed the yoke from the dress and the neckline of the vest pattern. I adjusted the yoke neckline down a little in the front and up a little in the back to match the neckline of the vest. Then I sewed the hood to the yoke. I used a big hook and eye to secure the mane in the front.
Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion are ready for some trick or treat fun!
Happy Halloween sewing!