Today we have a review of the Estrella Top by Little Kiwi's Closet . This top would make a really cute overdress/apron over a simple peasant for the holidays and it is a really quick sew! Enter to win your copy below.
- This review was completed by a 3rd party objective reviewer who received a complimentary copy of the pattern in order to complete the review. Neither Pattern Revolution nor the reviewer received any additional compensation for this review.
- Two strap styles - lace up or knotted
- Two skirt styles - open back or closed
- Two bodice styles - laced up or button closure
- With or without pockets
The big seller for me was the button back closure because the comfort in a car seat , the fitted look it gives, and ease of getting it on and off a child. We all know how fun it can be getting those over the head dresses pulled on and you can't get their one arm into the top/dress! No worries on this top! The instructions on how to close the back were easy to follow and tells you how leave room for a little placket (for even easier on and off).
Other details you might like to know about this pattern:
- There are no drafted pattern pieces to print for the bodice, straps, or skirt. I love this much more over printing 20 pages of pattern pieces. Saves me time, paper, and ink.
- There are drafted pieces for the optional pocket which are really adorable.
- There are 22 pages total of which 3 pages are mainly images of the top made by testers. I felt that was impressive for a pattern with so many options. Personally, I love shorter pattern instructions, otherwise I stress out and think to myself "This is going to take forever". Not the case here. I finished this top within 2 hours.
- The skirt is attached to the bodice by sandwiching it between the lining and top fabric, giving it a seamless look inside. This was new to me but wasn't too hard.
- There are A LOT of pictures of each step so you never get lost. I love a pattern where I can just follow it by looking at the pictures.
- Can be easily turned into a dress length by adding a few inches to the skirt measurement.
- It would be easy to dress this up or down. Knot front for a casual look and lace up back for a dressy look. Great for layering with a knit undershirt and leggings/tights.
You may be wondering if there is something I don't love about the pattern or would want included? I do wish there were measurements for a dress length without having to guess or measure your child. But overall, I'm very happy with the finished garment. The fit was perfect and easy to get her dressed in it. I love the options and plan to make the lace up back with pockets the next time. Best of all, my daughter loved it and let me dress her in it without a fight! That's a winner in my book:)
Thank you all for reading my review and I hope it helps my fellow pattern addicts decide if this sweet pattern needs to be added to your collections. Have a great day!
Disclaimer: This is not my daughter's usual cold/snow weather attire. We just finished the indoor photo shoot when she noticed the snow outside (first snow of the season). She was out there for less than a minute before I made her come inside to put on warmer clothing. So don't worry caring mamas:)
Amber also sewed up the Estrella top for us, check out her cute photos below: