Today we have Shae and Larissa sharing their reviews of the Astra Dress by 5 Berries. I love seeing this all sewn up, it is such a great twist on the the classic peasant dress. With an empire cinched waist, tiered skirt, and options of short or long sleeves, this is certainly a pattern that you can get a lot of use out of. Oh, and did I mention in comes in sizes 12m-12y, what a great size range!!! Make sure to enter the awesome 5 Berries giveaway (5 winners will win 3 patterns of their choice!!!) using the rafflecopter at the bottom of the review.
- This review was completed by a 3rd party objective reviewer who received a complimentary copy of the pattern in order to complete the review. Neither Pattern Revolution nor the reviewer received any additional compensation for this review.
|Excuse the crazy hair, she spent all day running around a farm!|
One of the most difficult aspects of sewing for a tween is finding patterns that do not look too babyish or grown up. Anyone who has tried to sew for a tween girl lately can agree that they are picky about every detail -- from the pattern to the fabric! When I saw this dress, the first thing I did was call over my 10.5 year old and ask her if she would wear it. I was so happy when she got very excited about it! Then it came to fabric selection......She wanted a short sleeve dress and I needed a long sleeve version! We compromised that we would do both, the long sleeve one in a nice fall theme and then she could pick a "fun" fabric for her short sleeve version. I am absolutely in love with this pattern! There are a few different ways to place the fabric in this dress that will make it a fun staple in my daughters wardrobe!
|Love the ribbon bow! She actually asked for it to be tied in a "Cinderella bow!"|
- Skill Level - Beginner- the casing is different, but is explained very clearly (with pictures too!)
- Printing: The pattern Pieces print in black and white on 12 pages. The sizes are all nested together, and there is a key telling you which dash dot line to cut for each size.
- Size Range: 12 months - 12
- Instructions - Clear and easy to follow with step by step written instructions and clear photographs to walk you through each stage of construction. The instructions are only 11 pages and is broken up into 9 steps!
- Fit - I made the size 8 for my daughter (She is in 8-10/12 in RTW stuff) and I love the fit... a little bit of growing room to last through the fall and winter.
- Options: Short or long sleeves and elastic in the wrist for the long sleeve. This can also be made into a top (directions are included)
|Trying to look so sweet!|
|I love this fabric that she chose!|
Overall, this was a very quick sew. If I took out all the distractions, it took me about 2 hours to cut and sew both dresses!