Greetings, sewing friends! I was excited to get the chance to review the Infinite A-line dress from Whisk ‘em.This dress pattern includes lots of options and sewed together very nicely. The directions were extremely clear and easy to follow, especially given that there were many options to follow. The pattern guided you through to where you needed to be for each dress and section. The pattern included charts for sizing, measuring, and the yardage that would be needed, as well as how to fold the fabric for the pattern pieces. A visual was given for the numbered pattern pieces so one could see how to lay them out for assembly. I appreciated this visual, as this is a problem I have had with lining up pieces and knowing how far the rows should go and what letters line up where. It helps to just see it all together. Another nice feature is the layering print option, you can print just the pieces for the size you need.
The Infinite a -line dress gave three main dress bodies, empire and straight-bodied, and ruffle added to the bottom. The skirt pattern piece included the line to cut for the ruffle and also in the pattern were the measurements for the rectangle skirt pieces, if you didn’t want to print them. If just using the rectangular measurements, I can use my quilting ruler and cutting mat and save the paper and time when I have those measurements.
The dress also includes five sleeve options, sleeveless, cap, ruffle, short, three quarter, and long sleeves. This is a pattern that can be used year round and adjusted according to your vision or your child’s preferences. The bodice is fully lined and there are directions to line the skirt, as well. I see this as a dress I can use often and get a lot of different looks. The bodice piece is big enough to add embroidery or applique to, as well.
For my design and fabrics, I chose to do a border instead of a ruffle and I printed all the pattern pieces. This is not an included option on the pattern but easy to do instead of the ruffle. I just used the ruffle pattern piece from the skirt and cut and measured two pieces on the fold for the border and sewed it using the rest of the directions for the ruffle piece including pressing and topstitching. I used Riley Blake polka dots and chevron for the bodice and border. For the skirt, I used a Michael Miller fabric I had been hoarding for a few years now.
Whisk ‘em has a blog and it promises to include more options for the dress as add-ons later. I went on the blog and saw the first one- a pinned tucked front. It looks really nice and changes the complete look of the dress. I am looking forward to seeing what other options will be included.