Today we are sharing a sneak peak at the One Thimble Issue 14 and the kick off of a blog tour.Read More
Welcome back to the One Thimble Issue 12 Blog Tour. Did you get a chance to sew over the weekend, or did you take some time off to enjoy the last days of summer fun? I'm in the final 2 week countdown to when my kids start school, so I'm trying to balance sewing for them and spending time with them these days.
Don't miss A full review of the Azure Party Dress from Marnie Today:
Don't miss any of the stops on the tour:
Hey, there's a new kid on the block! I can't wait to introduce you to One Thimble, a new E-zine published by Jen Kennedy of Ainslee Fox Handmade. The first edition of the new Australian PDf e-zine hit the market last month, and I know many of our fans were excited to hear more about it. Like with any new products, sometimes people are skeptical, and want to hold out until some reviews have surfaced before purchasing. We volunteered to review the magazine for our fans and give you a little closer look at what's inside. We stitched up two dress patterns from the magazine and you can read those full reviews HERE (Bo Peep) and HERE (KISS Dress).
First, how could you not love that tagline?
Sewn Projects & Tips to Help You Soar
I am a teacher at heart, and one of my greatest loves is helping people improve their sewing skills and gain in confidence, so that really tugged at my heart when I read that, but I wondered if the e-zine was going to live up to its promise.
Here are all the nitty gritty details:
- Cost $25. This was discussed and dissected in all the sewing forums at the time of release. Some people thought it was costly, but the general consensus was that if you will use just 3 of the 8 patterns you will have gotten a good deal (not even taking into consideration the wealth of other information inside). I really love that One Thimble offers the standalone patterns for purchase for those who know they will only use one or two of the patterns. I personally feel that it is a good value for the money to purchase the whole e-zine.
- The magazine is 177 pages and is meant to be read online or in an e-reader.
- You can print the entire thing if you want to, or just the pattern lift out which is designed to work for both letter and A4 paper. There is a table of contents and printing guide so you can print only what you need at a glance.
- The e-zine includes 8 PDF sewing patterns: 2 dresses, 1 doll dress (matches girl's dress) 1 skirt, 1 shorts, 1 applique, 1 purse, 1 hair accessory. Patterns can be purchased separately and range in price from $2 - $10.
- The e-zine has many short articles for small business owners on relevant topics like how to find your niche, photography, social media, sewing techniques, troubleshooting and much more.
- The e-zine has ads for relevant businesses in the industry.
- The e-zine is published quarterly from Australia but with an international market in mind.
I found the editorial content to be an enjoyable read. The articles were helpful and informative as well as entertaining. This is definitely something I would flip through on my tablet while waiting at the doctor's office or drinking my morning coffee. There is a lot of eye candy, but a lot of substance too. I also really loved the condensed format of the PDF pattern instructions; so neat and tidy, yet somehow they managed to squeeze everything in there!
So, What's next for One Thimble?
The next edition is set to release mid February 2014 and will feature both established and emerging designers. The upcoming edition will have a stronger focus on boys patterns (but will still have lots of girl items too!) and will be the Autumn edition (seasons are opposite US).
One Thimble has a Website, Facebook Page, and a Facebook Group.
You might enjoy seeing some things others have made from the patterns in the e-zine:
Don't forget to check out our reviews of the dress patterns.
One Thimble has generously offered a giveaway. One lucky winner will take home the first edition of the e-zine and another will win any 3 standalone patterns from the first edition.